Yay! The warm weather is here, at least in North Carolina, and you northerners won’t be far behind. It’s the season of grilling and all sorts of salads. I love all the fresh variations of vegetables/fruit/nuts, etc. that are possible.
This Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Corn Salad is my first offering of the season. My husband and I collaborated on this one, which is often how my recipes evolve. I proposed a sweet potato salad. Hubby said how about black beans and corn and I thought yes, and added the green onions – welcome to dinner planning in my household.
It worked out so well, I decided to post it. It’s refreshing yet filling, with plenty of phytonutrients and fiber, and it just plain tastes good! It’s colorful, too!
We made it with frozen corn as corn isn’t in season yet, but it would be great with fresh corn, too, come summertime.
Hankering for a fresh veggie salad? Give this easy Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Corn Salad a try!
- 2 small to medium sweet potatoes
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt to taste
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn, thawed (or fresh, microwaved for a minute)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into about ¾ inch cubes.
- Toss sweet potato cubes with 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large bowl until well coated.
- Spread sweet potatoes on a foil lined sheet pan.
- Roast sweet potatoes in preheated oven 25 minutes.
- Mix remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil, rice vinegar, salt, black pepper and honey in a large serving bowl.
- Add roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, corn and green onions and toss well to coat with dressing.